Blog Archive

Monday 23 January 2012

2012 BMW X5 M: Review notes


"Punch the M button on the wheel, stab the throttle and hang on. You don't have . Photo by David Arnouts.
By: Roger Hart on 1/20/2012
EXECUTIVE EDITOR ROGER HART: Not really sure who this 2012 BMW X5 M brute of a ute is targeted at, but I usually end up with a smile on my face after driving it. Maybe it's because something this big and this heavy probably shouldn't go this fast this quickly. Nor stop as well as this will. I recently had the chance to hustle one of these around Laguna Seca, and I was quite surprised at just how well the thing handled on a racetrack.
The X5 M is a perfect example of how BMW has been able to infuse its core DNA into a product that you would normally associate with performance cars. One could argue whether this is an answer to a question that few have asked, and at this price, few will want to pay for. But BMW did it, and did it rather well. Punch the M button on the wheel, stab the throttle and hang on. You don't have to wait long for the grin.
ASSOCIATE EDITOR DAVID ARNOUTS: Despite having the X5 M for a short afternoon photo shoot, for me it was all smiles. Like Roger, the X5 M makes me grin, but the price makes me frown. Our example was nicely equipped and it showed, especially in the interior. While Audi has been getting praises for its interiors (deservedly so), my preference between the two will always fall with BMW.
The performance in the M is a bit disorienting, because it is so against the grain of traditional SUV expectations. I am not surprised that is does well on a track.
Maybe because I'm a Bimmer guy at heart, but given the opportunity, I would jump at the chance to have this in my garage to fulfill my winter/all-wheel-drive/family-hauler needs any day of the week.
EDITOR WES RAYNAL: I, too, am confused at just who this 2012 BMW X5 M is aimed at, but it is a hoot to drive, what with the power and the grip and all. It's like an M5 on stilts. Whether one thinks that's a good or bad thing is up to the individual, I suppose.
Personally, I thought it was fine, but I couldn't really see it in my fleet, not at this kind of jack. I'd rather have a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 or a Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged. The BMW certainly doesn't drive like it weighs near as much as a Chevrolet Suburban. Launching down a freeway entrance ramp--and I do mean launching--it feels like a really stable (though tall) sport sedan. It's so tempting to just keep romping on the throttle, too much fun not to. The brakes are awesome as they'd better be, and it didn't ride as harshly as I feared it was going to.
But still it's completely silly, and nearly $100,000 is laughable. Actually, I can't decide whether it was all the power that had me laughing or the sticker price. It's definitely one of them.
ROAD TEST EDITOR JONATHAN WONG: There has to be a market for high-powered SUVs because there are a number of them available. The new Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG is just around the corner, and there's a Porsche Cayenne turbo, while on the more affordable end of the spectrum is the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.
Whenever I drive one of these big performance SUVs, they still surprise for their logic-defying abilities. Usually lots of weight and a higher center of gravity aren't things you logically associate with a performance vehicle. But then again, is there really anything logical about these cars? Is the price? Besides the Jeep, they all start at north of $85,000. Do most people writing the checks for them plan on taking them to a racetrack for lapping sessions? I doubt it. Do you need to get to your local warehouse shopping club or soccer practice as fast as these can get you there? Nope.
Of course that doesn't mean that people don't want high-performance SUVs. I'll admit, I always thoroughly enjoy my time behind the wheel, and it was no different with this 2012 BMW X5 M. It is wicked-fast with the 555 hp from the force-inducted V8. The only minor complaint I have is about throttle tip-in. There's a slight lull before things take off.
Power is the easy, but making something this big and heavy handle is the tricky part, and BMW's M division does it wonderfully. Steering is direct, responsive and weighty, and the way it demolishes bends makes you scratch your head. Massive 20-inch rubber helps matters, too, no doubt. And the brakes gets this rig slowed down in a hurry.
I haven't had the chance to drive the new 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG yet, but I have had a little time with a Porsche Cayenne turbo and the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. The Porsche, in my opinion, is the most entertaining dance partner from a driver-engagement standpoint, but it also starts at $108,075. It's slightly unfair to throw the Jeep into the mix because it only packs 470 hp from its 6.4-liter Hemi V8, but it's also much less expensive, with a base price of $61,785. So the best-bang-for-your-buck award goes to the Jeep, but it's not as refined and buttoned up as the more expensive German entries.
The X5 M does win the horsepower war with 555 hp, while the Cayenne turbo brings 500 hp to the party and the Mercedes is good for 550 hp when equipped with the optional AMG performance package. If you compare the manufacturer performance figures, the Porsche wins the 0-to-60-mph sprint in 4.4 seconds, with the BMW following in 4.5 seconds, the Mercedes in 4.7 seconds and the Jeep in 4.8 seconds. No matter how you slice it, all of these things are freaking fast.
So if it's a performance SUV that you want, there are plenty of options. As I said, these things are fun, but personally nothing beats a true sports coupe or sedan in my mind.
2012 BMW X5 M
Base Price: $87,275
As-Tested Price: $97,975
Drivetrain: 4.4-liter twin-turbocharged V8; AWD, six-speed automatic
Output: 555 hp @ 6,000 rpm, 500 lb-ft @ 1,500-5,650 rpm
Curb Weight: 5,368 lb
Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 14/14.6 mpg
Options: Silverstone perforated full leather ($3,800); active ventilated front-seat package including active seat for driver, front ventilated seats and multicontour seats ($1,900); driver-assistance package including rearview camera with top view, automatic high beams and head-up display ($1,900); premium sound package including satellite radio and enhanced premium sound ($1,100); comfort access keyless entry ($1,000); cold-weather package including heated steering wheel, ski bag, heated rear seats ($600); sideview camera ($300); power tailgate ($100)
For more information: Check out the 2012 BMW X5 M at shopautoweek.com.


Get more car news, reviews and opinion every day: Sign up to have the Autoweek Daily Drive delivered right to your inbox.
 


Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120120/CARREVIEWS/120129980#ixzz1kI6JF1oH

0 comments:

Post a Comment